Welcome to The Green Bus recruitment page!
The Green Bus provides high-quality bus services to a huge variety of clients, ranging from West Midlands Railway to the University of Birmingham. We serve all the leading grammar schools in the West Midlands.
We have a reputation for excellent customer service. We’re interested in recruiting drivers who can maintain our high standards of customer service, driving, and reliability. In return, we offer good rates of pay, a friendly working environment, and a huge variety of work.
We started running our own buses in 2007, having previously hired various local operators to provide our school. At the same time, we began operating a private hire service in the middle of the day. Today, the business runs around 40 buses and turns over around £2 million every year.
Unlike many bus businesses, our business is growing. Demand for our school bus services is very strong, and our private hire business has grown consistently for the last 10 years. In the summer season, we are always completely sold out!
Full-time drivers have a consistent working pattern. The day starts with one of our grammar school services and, if allocated, is followed by a private hire. Hires are usually for schools, and could be for any client to any destination in the West Midlands – our drivers enjoy a huge variety of work in the middle of the day. The day ends with a return journey on your designated school service.
Part-time drivers work an agreed pattern. You might drive a designated school service every morning or every afternoon, for example. We are open to a variety of different work patterns.
Casual drivers help us when we’re busiest. We are often booked for rail replacement work, for example, and for major sporting events. In June and July, we have a very full private hire order book and casual drivers assist us frequently.
We are a small and friendly firm where everyone knows everyone else: you’re always much more than a payroll number at The Green Bus. We offer:
- 24 days’ paid annual leave and 8 paid bank holidays
- mainly a Monday-Friday working pattern, although we do work some weekends
- plenty of variety: you won’t be plodding along the same bus route all day, but you will be getting to new and interesting places
- annual leave during school holidays, not in term-time – ideal for drivers with children at school!
- your own school bus route which you look after all year round
Our clients expect the highest standards, and we only employ drivers who can meet them. Our recruitment process starts with your online application. You may be invited for interview and driving assessment and, in order to be offered employment, you must have:
- a valid driving licence with Category D entitlement (ideally clean, but we’ll consider a maximum of three penalty points in certain circumstances)
- a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) (from your CPC training)
- a clean current criminal record
- fluent spoken and written English
- an excellent attitude to work and customer service
- driving standards which meet our assessment criteria on a test drive
In addition, in order to complete our checks on identity, right to work, and DBS, you must be able to produce:
- a valid passport or original birth certificate
- a utility bill in your name at your current address
- a bank or building society statement in your name at your current address
If you would like to apply to work at The Green Bus, please get in touch by completing our application form available below.Application Form